Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dye, Dye DYE!


For some time now I've been looking into the process of fabric dye using natural substances. I found a delightfully helpful website called Pioneerthinking. Check it out for more details on the process. The above material is the lining I have in some baskets in The Kidlets room.

We have decided that we aren't going to be moving to Portland in January. Which is a relief in some ways and a drag in others. I am happy to be here a bit longer but at the same time, the limbo of us still not knowing for sure if we will be making a major move away from all out friends and family...yeah, it's tough.

Since we will be staying in our one room apartment a little longer we have been doing a bit of reworking the space in The Kidlets "room" (Pictures will be posted soon) and as a result I am actually fixing the little things that have bugged me for a while.

Case in point, the above picture. The sea foam is a lovely color but doesn't match the theme of his room. SOooooo, today was the day I decided to get off my butt and actually try out some dye. I had some chlorophyll left from dyeing frosting a couple months ago (it's soooo much more healthy than food coloring...bleah) and decided to see what would happen if I just used it as dye instead of gathering leaves and grass and what not. The picure just below is of a dress I bought on clearance and though I the color is pleasant enough and since I spent so little on it in the beginning I am more curious to see what will come of using cabbage and beets to modify the shade. I'm hoping for a nice purple though I know it will be much lighter than my preference I figure it's still work a shot. (I have a feeling it's not going to turn out as well as I'd like....hmmmm.)

I used the vinegar fixative as instructed on Pioneerthinking and boiled the cloth for an hour. I put the basket liners in the chlorophyll with water and boiled for an hour and I chopped the cabbage and beets and boiled them for an hour, then strained the dye and have boiled the dress for over an hour as well (I am going to let it sit overnight to get a deeper color) I will post pics tomorrow to show you the results. Wish me luck please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovies and literacy,
-K







Oooops, I wasn't watching the pot and didn't catch when it came to a boil.

No comments: