Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

She and Him and Me and Them!!!!


This is me, hands clasped in rapture at the thought that in less than 3 hours I would be seeing ZOOEY DESCHANEL!

I was trying to think about where to start with getting back into posting, I feel so far behind that I couldn't decide on anything. Argh.

Then I decided I would wait until the day after the Bird and the Bee, She and Him, and The Swell Season concert at The Hollywood Bowl! What better event than THAT to come back with a bang.

Soooo....we are still trying to figure out our new camera (ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, all lost on me) but we were able to get some good shots. A former student of mine, Mark, moved to the LA area and said whenever we wanted visit we were welcome. We finally took him up on his offer and decided to drive down to see the show, spend the night at his family's house, then back up the next morning. It was wonderful! Mark greeted us with a BBQ, chocolate, wine, and this gorgeous pup.....


We had a lovely time hanging out for a bit before the show and the boys were all smitten with the coolness of Mark. He is an amazing person! I'm sorry to have lost him from my class!


This is O. He is a newer acquaintance but we have spent many a summer's evening playing Boggle recently and when the opportunity came for him to buy someone else's ticket he jumped on board and we all had a blast.



The Mr. and the new camera has created a plethora of pictures of inanimate objects and me. (Seriously though, so many pictures of things like, his feet, and random objects on the floor or the sky. AHHAHA!)


Eating...I am too good at it.

This is our other friend, we call him Panda, we met him several years ago at a Summer camp that The Mr. was playing music for. He is legit and we are glad we got to be together on this trip since he lives out of town and we only see him when there is a movie coming to our IMAX which he drives up for.


Stoic...I think he was thinking about wine...


...And I was thinking about Zooey and M. Ward.


This is a picture of O. being thoroughly smitten with the awesomeness of Mark. O. wants to be him when he grows up.


Rusty Pup!

45 minutes on the bus, standing room only. Egad!


Btw, look who got a summer crop...I don't particularly care for it, but he's still a handsome gentleman.




Whilst we were waiting for the show to start we entertained ourselves with spotting regular folks that looked at least mildly, like celebrities.


(Blast, I wish I'd gotten better pics.) This guy seriously looked like Jason Mraz.


Bobby Lee! When this was stated out loud, an Asian man in front of us said, "Ooo, that's racists!" Fortunately, O was the one that said it so we pointed at him and the guy forfeited. Whew. ;-)


Taylor Momsen. AHAHAH!


Ryan Gosling, (again, wish we'd gotten better shots!!!)


Plump Vin Diesel with hair.
(We did spot one actual "celebrity" when we were walking in, didn't get a photo, but it was the guy that was dating Cuddy this last season on House. And apparently Colin Farrel was in the audience somewhere, so Marketa said)



Pondering.


The Panda, The Mr., The Me.



EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!



This was the ridiculous expression on my face through most of the show...mixed in with crying. Pathetic.


Mark sent a bottle of wine with the dinner he packed. I don't drink but O. said it was amazing.


Yep.












Sadly, when The Bird and The Bee were playing it was too light out for good pics on the screens, then when The Swell Season played it was too dark. :-( But they literally gave us chills. The passion and power behind Glen Hansard's lyrics and vocals, the charisma, the soft charm of Marketa Irglova....I literally cried, not bawling, just quiet tears of awe....it was breath taking.

People were obnoxiously loud for the first two acts but once Glen and Marketa starting singing you could literally hear a pin drop, in a crowd of ???-thousand people, that's really saying something. They even taught the audience special ooo's and ah's to sing at certain points of songs for them to sing over the top of....it was a gorgeous glimpse of heaven, to hear that many people singing together....I am out of words.

On the bus, heading home....we were tired....

but deliriously happy.

It was a wonderful night, it will be one of my fondest memories of my life. The venue is amazing, if you ever have the chance to see a show there, GO! They let you bring in however much you can carry, food, wine, blankets, etc. And there is no smoking IN the amphitheater (though that didn't stop the guy in front of us from lighting up a joint at one point, oddly enough it was right after I was talking to Panda about how the smell of pot makes me throw up, I guess it reminded him, "oh yeah...I forgot I had that on me....LAME!") I had to run away for a while.

Well, there you have it, a wonderful evening with wonderful friends captured on a wonderful camera that is way out of my league of expertise.

I hope you are blessed and joyful!

Lovies and LA LA LAAA,

-K

PS. even though we were tired when we got back from the show we decided to go see Inception at 11:50pm. I am paying for it today! I have to say, technically that movie was pretty impressive...but other than that I am fairly indifferent to it. I was expecting to be "blown away" (that's what everyone has been saying) and I was super disappointed to find that it didn't. :-( Hopefully those of you that have seen it were able to enjoy it more than I.

16 comments:

Mel said...

Sounds like you had a splendid time! Haha I love looking for people who look like celebrities :) Yay I adore She and Him, Zooey looks so adorable!

The Body Electric said...

We did indeed! It was so much fun! And such wonderful music! Yes, she was divine!

chelsea said...

Gosh, I am so jealous that you could actually see them! When I went to the concert here in Chicago they were down too low and there were no big screens. What a jip. Glad you had an amazing time, though.

The Body Electric said...

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry you didn't have a better experience with them! :-( Btw, since you are in Chicago I must recommend, there is a band coming your way in the next couple months. They are called Efterklang. Look up their website, find yourself tickets, go and see them. They are exquisite and wonderful people. You will be so glad you went!

k said...

great pics!!! its funny - i was just at a concert and my fave pictures were taken from my iphone. weird!

:: Lavender's Green :: said...

What an adorable post! You are quite the stunner. I'm glad you're back :)

x Jasmine

Sara said...

wow I LOVE she&him!!! I saw them in Royal Oak (my town) last month and it was amazing! I didn;t get any pics though, cameras were banned. :(

I am glad that you had fun! The celebrity lookalikes are great :)

Anonymous said...

You look a bit like Zooey!

I saw the Swell Season the night before in Tucson! Magic...I wish She and Him opened though..I got to meet Glen before the show..He is an amazing guy! Glad you had fun!

The Body Electric said...

Krystal, I keep seeing AMAZING photos and video taken from Iphones, seriously impressive!

Jasmine, aw, thank you!!! You aren't too hard on the eyes either!!! ;-) I'm glad to be back too!

Sara, So glad you were able to see them too! Feel free to steal pics if you like!

Christie, you lucky duck, getting to meet Glen Hansard, he is exquisite, to say the least! It was quite the lineup. I feel so blessed!

The Body Electric said...

Oh, and thank you for the compliment, I WISH I looked like Zooey!!! :-) You are too kind!

Anonymous said...

You do! That is who I thought the pic was at first! He was so super nice and he got down on his knee to talk to my little girls...He even went looking for Marketa for them...Too sweet...Thanks for stopping by my blog!

tess said...

You do remind me a lot of Zooey in this post! Both of you are utterly adorable!

I never got to see She & Him, but I've been kicking myself for months about it. By the time I heard they were playing in Minnesota the show was sold out!! ugg

I've seen the Swell Season twice. They were amazing both times. Glen is such a great performer he really knows how to engage his audience and make them feel as if their show is the best of the tour/the most unique. I love his crazy stories, sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking. And he puts so much pathos into his songs. You can really feel the emotion he poured into them as he was writing them. And the few times Marketa does speak are magical, she has this poise. I love them!

k said...

hey! well, i *attempted* to explain depth of field and aperature here: http://sundayphotography.blogspot.com/2010/06/depth-of-fieldaperture.html
and then there might be a post on speed in the June archive too. it's so overwhelming and i'm still totally learning!!!

scatterheart said...

I love The Bird and Bee AND She & Him!!! What an awesome opportunity to see them both in concert and at such a great location :) I love all the photos but my favorite of them all has to be the close up of your face. You are a beauty my dear one.

Lisa said...

Glad you had such a great time, the venue looks amazing. What kind of camera did you use? the pics look really good!

The Body Electric said...

Goodness, I keep reading things from, time to time, about blogging cattiness and such but you ladies are one supportive group! You are all so sweet to pay me such a high compliment. I still feel there's no similarity but the dark hair but I do so appreciate that you may see some resemblance there! All I see are my flaws. ;-)

Lisa, we used a Nikon D80. It's been sooo nice after having a standard point and shoot all these years but I am sooo lost on what to do with it if it's not the middle of the day with optimal lighting!!!

Krystal, thank you so much, hopefully that will help sort things out a bit for us!!!

Renee, you are too kind, really! And yes, it was an amazing lineup! We were so blessed!

Tess, I'm so sorry you missed the show, you would have died of ecstasy, then come back to life just to die again. ;-) Hope you're having a blast on your trip! Be safe!